This video is all about the Ficus Bonsai Species, in which I will talk about a few or the Ficus species that are common as indoor bonsai. Amongst them are the Ficus bengalhensis, Ficus Microcarpa, the Ficus Panda, The Ficus Ginseng, Ficus Virens. Many people seem to shun away from ficus fearing they are difficult to keep, actually they are relatively easy given a few basic key condition. In fact most of these have been grown from seed as they are Tropical Bonsai and not usually found in London or UK – in some parts of Mediterranean Europe they are easier to find. Mark D’Cruz, Ma-Ke Bonsai
For lots more bonsai videos London bonsai trees for beginners.
Credits for some stills as below:
1) The Great Banyan – https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Acharya_Jagadish_Chandra_Bose_Indian_Botanic_Garden_-_Howrah_2011-01-08_9720.JPG
2) The Great Banyan Roots – https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Acharya_Jagadish_Chandra_Bose_Indian_Botanic_Garden_-_Howrah_2011-01-08_9723.JPG
3) The Great Banyan Roots – Ficus roots https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Great_Banyan_Tree_-_Howrah_2011-02-20_1675.JPG
4) Ficus bengalhensis – Fruits – https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Banyan_fruit_Ficusbenghalensis_IGZoopark_Visakhapatnam.JPG
6) Ficus Virens Roots – https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Ficus_virens_trunk.jpg
7) Ficus macrophylla – Tree – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Moreton_Bay_fig_tree_in_Balboa_Park.jpg
|Ficus is a genus of about 850 species of woody trees, shrubs, vines, epiphytes and hemiepiphytes in the family Moraceae. Collectively known as fig trees or figs, they are native throughout the tropics with a few species extending into the semi-warm temperate zone. The common fig (F. carica) is a temperate species native to southwest Asia and the Mediterranean region (from Afghanistan to Portugal), which has been widely cultivated from ancient times for its fruit, also referred to as figs. The fruit of most other species are also edible though they are usually of only local economic importance or eaten as bushfood. However, they are extremely important food resources for wildlife. Figs are also of considerable cultural importance throughout the tropics, both as objects of worship and for their many practical uses.|
|One of the most useful tools for bonsai is a moderately priced Bonsai turntable. These turntables can be priced as high as $1,500 buy you can buy a model that is around $20 that will server your needs for many years. Using a Bonsai turntable will allow you to quickly view your plant from various angles for styling, trimming, or wiring. It can also be used with an agled piece of wood to see different views priopr to placing the plant in a pot. I like to use a Bonsai turntable when I am trimming so I work evenly on each side as I proceed with the pruning.|
|This bender is very helpful as you become more advanced in bonsai. This tool is very adjustable and will easily handle tree trunks up to an inch. They are very low priced and can be left in place. I did a short demo video on this bender. Watch the Bonsai Branch Bender demo video.|
A good pair of Bonsai Knob Cutters is essential for advanced bonsai artistry. These tools are great for gettting in close and removing small buds, branchs, gins, and inperfections. This is a high quality pair and is made from carbon steel.
|A good sharp Bonsai Knife is one of the most important tools you can have. There are so many uses that I can't even list them all. You just need it there when it is needed.|
Free - My First Japanese Maple Bonsai eBook
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.